The Sudanese people’s uprising against the dictatorship of Omar el-Bashir in 2019 electrified the world. We condemn the coup launched by General Abdelfatah al-Burhan on 25 October which seeks to return Sudan to authoritarian rule and call for the immediate release of all those detained by the military. We stand in solidarity with Sudan’s trade unions and professional associations which have been at the forefront of the struggles of the past two years to turn the slogans of “freedom, peace and justice” into reality. Like them, we believe that the defence of democratic rights cannot be separated from the battle for social justice.
We call on our governments to immediately cease all forms of military and diplomatic cooperation with the Sudanese military and Rapid Support Forces.
International lenders, including the IMF, national governments and commercial banks must cancel the huge international debts which are fuelling Sudan’s economic crisis.
Vicky Blake, President University and College Union (UCU) – Britain
Kevin Courtney, Joint General-Secretary, National Education Union (NEU) – Britain
Mary Bousted, Joint General-Secretary, National Education Union (NEU) – Britain
And hundreds of other activists and trade unionists.
Add your name here: https://www.change.org/NocoupinSudan
What else you can do:
- Rush protests to the Sudanese Embassy in London, calling on the military to immediately cease all forms of repression and restore civilian rule. https://www.sudan-embassy.co.uk/contact/ or email email@example.com
- Demand that Britain stops selling arms to the regional powers supporting the coup, UAE, Israel, Saudi Arabia and Egypt – Model tweet here: “.@FCDOGovUK rhetoric of support for democracy against #SudanCoup is not enough – take action by stopping arms sales to @AlsisiOfficial and @UAEEmbassyUK who are backing Sudan’s generals and empowering repression”
- Pass a resolution in your trade union branch – model motion here
- Join a protest called by Sudanese activists – look out for demonstrations organised by the Sudanese community in your town or city – take your trade union banner down to show your support.
- Share information from Sudanese activists reporting on the strikes and protests – read about the role of the resistance committees here and more about the mass protests and strikes here