This conference will provide a space for trade unionists from around the NW to hear directly from Sudanese activists about the ongoing struggle for democracy and the resistance to the military coup of 25 October 2021. Since the generals seized power, ordinary people have taken to the streets on a daily basis to demand civilian rule through protests, strikes and civil disobedience. This movement has been led by grassroots revolutionary organisations – neighbourhood resistance committees, independent trade unions and professional associations. Several resistance committees have now issued political declarations calling for far-reaching democratic reforms and opposing any compromise with the military dictatorship. They are demanding an end to the organised robbery and extortion by the army and militia generals who dominate the Sudanese state and much of the economy.
Having emerged from 30 years of dictatorship and war through a popular uprising against Omar al-Bashir which began in December 2018, this mass movement of ordinary people is still fighting to turn their hopes of ‘freedom, peace and justice’ into reality, despite terrible repression.
The Sudanese revolution urgently needs solidarity from around the world to amplify the demands for real change, genuine democracy, economic justice and an end to military rule being raised in the streets and workplaces.
This online conference aims to:
- Build solidarity for the Sudanese revolution and resistance to military rule
- Create networks between trade unionists and activists from Sudan, Britain and beyond
- Pressurise the British government to end military and diplomatic support for the coup leaders and the regional powers (UAE, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Israel) backing them
- Publicise the role of the Resistance Committees in leading the Sudanese revolution
- Affirm our solidarity with Sudanese refugees as part of wider campaigns to welcome all those fleeing war and repression
- Representatives of the Sudanese Teachers’ Committee
- Sudanese Healthworkers
- Daniel Kebede, National President NEU
- Opening plenary discussion: Where is the Sudanese revolution going?
- Workshops on the revolution in the Education and Health sectors
- Closing plenary discussion: Building effective solidarity
The event will be held on Zoom – log-on details will be sent out to registered participants in advance – please check the event reminder for details.
Sponsoring organisations: Sudanese Diaspora Roundtable UK, MENA Solidarity Network